FlexTurbulizer Mixer Agglomerator – Advantages for Processing Sticky Materials
Does my solids process require a FlexTurbulizer mixer?
– Nathan Bosquez, Master in Science- Chemical Engineering
The Bepex FlexTurbulizer® was designed specifically to address difficulties seen with materials that often build-up or become sticky when processed with conventional mixers. This paddle mixer offers the performance of a continuous high-speed and high-shear Turbulizer while at the same time integrating the self-cleaning mixing operation needed for those hard-to-handle materials. The unique design allows for use in a variety of mixing processes;
- Hydrating hard-to-wet powders
- Coating – surface treatment
- Agglomerating – wet agglomeration
- Homogenizing – multi-ingredient dispersion
- Reacting – reagent dispersion
The particle size is controlled by adjusting the water and binder addition rate along with rotor speed in order to match the unique density or particle-size-distribution specifications that are required.
Solids are most commonly force fed horizontally into the mixing chamber. Liquid injection is introduced through a jet rotor design, which can allow for multipoint liquid injection. As the solids and liquids are mixed, a roller cage rotates around the outside of the horizontal flexible housing. This action depresses the housing within fractions of an inch, which is enough to prevent any hard layers of buildup on the walls of the mixing chamber.
Advantages and Features
- No buildup on the walls decreases the wear on paddles and chamber
- The constant power draw provides consistent granule size, shape and density on a continuous basis
- High sheer agglomeration creates stronger products
- Allows for higher liquid loading which creates a more uniform product in a dust tight operation
- Some applications have been successful in producing round granules up to 3 mm diameter
- Solves applications that were difficult or impossible with existing mixing technologies
Our customers often inquire about a technology to relieve difficulties in their current mixing equipment or are looking to produce a new product that can be difficult to handle. Testing is usually required to determine the tackiness of the material and if the application would be best solved by our new FlexTurbulizer technology.
Typical Applications of the Bepex FlexTurbulizer include:
- Calcium carbonate
- Bentonite or other clay mixes
- Calcium hypochlorite
- Pigments & dyes
- Ag chemicals
- Water soluble polymers
- Protein powder coating
- Food fibers
- Sugar and other sweeteners
- Tablet ready granulations
- Super absorbent polymers